Saturday, May 3, 2008

Final Q & A

In a literal sense, this assignment was created by and only achievable within the human construct of written language. This is a system of formerly-arbitrary, formalized and currently uniformly understood symbols created to enable intelligent communication of thought and sense between human beings sharing a particular language in common, or who possess the ability to acquire a translation of the assignment symbols into their own language. Therefore, carefully considered in the strictest sense, all these terms must be considered and categorized as entirely and only human constructions.

However, if one considers the conceptualized definition of these symbolic terms as accepted and understood by their representational language, other possibilities of categorical organization arise.

Electrons, the color red, apples, and the concepts on which we have reflected then assigned the terms the number three, time, and music are all things that exist outside of and independent from human context. Conceptualized in terms of human language they exist entirely as a human construction, and only partly as a human construction because they also exist in reality absent human construction.

I lack sufficient resources to determine whether or not our human definition of war, i.e. conflict, active hostility or contention exist on the subtler, sub-atomic planes. Having no knowledge of its existence there, I will currently accept that war is partly a human construction, because war as a concept can be seen on earth, in other non-human societies.

I also believe that science, broadly defined as the systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation, exists in other non-human societies.

I would locate morality in the same category as war and science, with the caveat that I firmly believe that other superior beings who may or may not exist, always or ever as corporeal beings, also possess what we define as morality.

God is the tricky one. Something exists outside of humankind that drives humans to seek an explanation of it. However, I do not believe that the human definition of God is an apt or accurate definition of that which exists and is commonly known as "God."

I do believe that there are beings superior to human beings. How they exist, what they exist as, their purpose for existence, and whether or not they exist in an intentional, purposeful relationship with other species - including humankind, is far beyond the scope of my knowledge or capacity to ascertain, at least in my current form in this present time. But if there be Gods, I most fervently pray they be moral gods.

No comments: