Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Practice of Marx's Theory?

I agree, in theory, with Marx’s Historical Economic Thesis. I see the benefit of effecting change in an organic, evolutionary flow. Only organic, evolutionary processes could produce true, complete, and lasting change. I agree with that theory.

As DJ said in class, organic, evolutionary, human processes take hundreds of years. Humankind requires multiple generations for those within the superstructure to effect the necessary change within the base.

I worry that neither the planet, nor any of its species, will survive intact long enough for that evolutionary change to occur. We’ve lost so many species already; many more are on the brink. Pollution, climate change, and economic globalization, the base’s newest version of colonialism, have already destroyed complete ecosystems, and cultures. The greedy, global base should be prevented from destroying any more environments, any more species, or more people. How can that be done without harming any life?

I do not see how Marx’s theory can be put into practice in time. The base is destroying the superstructure. The base’s existence is ultimately linked to the existence of the superstructure. Is the base’s destruction of the superstructure, and its consequent self-destruction, Marx’s vision of organic, evolutionary restructuring?

While I’m a true fan of the metaphysical worldview, I deeply love some aspects of the natural physical world. I am also fond of certain convenient, or enjoyable, manufactured objects. If the base keeps moving at its current pace, the physical realm will disappear. Only the metaphysical realm will remain.

If this is the practice of Marx’s theory, I think it requires an addendum.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

You might take a glance at the website of the progressive, academic journal, "Capitalism, Nature, Socialism." (Simply Google the title.)

Also of interest perhaps is Ted Benton's book "The Greening of Marxism."